Sunday, January 29, 2012

Snuggling Up In the New Cage

I think this particular baby has spent more time snuggling to Mom than all of the rest of the bunch.

I built onto the already existing 4 ft X 2.5 ft cage so that their space now extends to create an L-shaped wing (4ft X 1.5 ft of extra space added). The main cage has been built upward for a space just for Mom to get away as well. I have also begun building upward from the newly added wing so they will be able to climb upwards and (hopefully) will trellis to another landing pad across the area.

My hope is that as I create more space, and as the bunnies grow they will began spreading out naturally (like I would imagine a wild litter to do as they began hitting adolescents) so that I can minimize the conflict and fighting. Perhaps many bunnies can reside together so long as they inhabit spacial areas that do not conflict with one another?

Thus far, having domestic bunnies, I have learned that bonding is quite a process and that many bunnies have conflict or fighting that occurs. I had already been primed to understand that as the babies reached puberty that, even as litter mates, they may begin to fight. My hope is that I can help create an environment that would mimic how wild rabbits might go about spreading out and I could, somehow, bypass the entire conflicting situation to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment